History of the Emerald Arts Society
Emerald more than any other ward in the Shire of Cardinia, has a long and established history of artistic and cultural community involvement. Many famous Australian artists and writers, poets, musicians and crafts persons have lived in the hills since the 1800’s and have contributed and continue to contribute towards our National identity.
Emerald Arts Society was formed in 1969. It flourished, becoming the artistic hub of the town during the 70s and 80s. Classes were held all over the town until EAS was able to move into its own studio in 1984 (corner Church and Anne Streets, Emerald, VIC). This was due mainly to monies raised by EAS at their annual exhibitions and at the monthly markets together with assistance from Sherbrooke Council. Classes in those days included a huge variety of “arts”, such as macrame, upholstery, breadmaking, aerobics, rattan restoration, folk music, classical music, drama, woodwork, guitar-playing, pottery, sewing, creative writing and of course the visual arts. This is the reason that we are known as an “arts” society rather than an “art” society.
View the rules that govern the Emerald Arts Society:
Emerald Arts Society Inc. Rules – Effective, October 2013